Thursday 20 October 2011

Questionnaire results - Primary audience research

The majority of people that completed and sent me back the questionnaire were in the age range of 15-17. Only 3 people in the age range of 18-21 handed in their forms. 20 people in total completed the questionnaire.

1. Do you enjoy watching films?


15 out of 17, 15-17 yr olds, said that they enjoyed watching films. This is the age range I would like to target with my products, so it's important that 88% of them enjoy watching films in general.

100% of 18-21 year olds said that enjoy watching films, which is good for my product because it means that although I'm not aiming to make a Rated 18 film, they may still be interested in my product because they enjoy to watch films.



90% of the people who did the questionnaire said they enjoy watching films, and only 10% said no. This is good because they are all within the age range of my target audience.

2. How often do you go to the Cinema?

The majority of people go to the cinema monthly, or every few months, which means that they are very picky about what films they actually go and watch. They will be persuded by oustanding teaser trailers, not just ones where the films seems OK.

I received similar results for the 18-21 year old range, as 100% said that they only go to the cinema monthly. This means that my trailer has to be really good for my target audience to want to see the actual film.

Overall, 50% of particpants said that they go to the cinema monthly.

3. What genre do you prefer?
I allowed people to circle more than one for this question because not many people just like one particular genre.
Out of the 8 examples (excluding the 'Other....' option), only 6 genres were chosen.
Overall, the most popular genre was Comedy (9 votes) with Thriller as a close second (7 votes). 3 votes went to both Rom Com, Horror and Action. Just 1 vote went to Fantasy.

This is good because it means that a lot of people within the age range I am using as my target audience like to watch Thrillers.

4. What would you expect to see in a teaser trailer?

Most people said pretty much the same thing. Overall the results looked like this;

I expect to see:
  • basic plot and main actors - 4 votes
  • General plot, not giving too much away - 7 votes
  • General plot - 2 votes
  • an identification of the genre - 1 vote
  • enough to entice without revealing the whole plot - 4 votes
  • explosions - 1 vote
  • fast paced edits - 1 vote
This was really useful, because it's interesting to see how people's opinions differ from my own. I can conclude from the data received from this question that people want to see the general plot outline in a teaser trailer, but not have the best parts given away, they want to be left questioning, but persuaded that they care enough to see the rest of the film.

5. Does the trailer for a new film decide whether you go and see the film? Why?

100% percent of participants overall all agreed that it's the trailer that makes them decide if they go and see the film. When asked why, these were the results;

  • Gets me excited for the whole film - 1 vote
  • Persuasive if it's a good trailer - 5 votes
  • A good trailer is crucial because if it's bad, I won't watch it - 1 vote
  • First opinion of a film (impression) - 1 vote
  • Creates interest - 6 votes
  • Makes the decision as to whether to go and see the film - 6 votes
From these results I can conclude that my target audience will only go and see a film if they like the trailer, because it heavily influences their opinions of the film. I also know that a lot of people in this age range like to watch thrillers.

No comments:

Post a Comment